Kentucky Ag News
Vol. 6 No. 4 • Feb. 18, 2013
Gross sales at the Beef Expo shot up 46 percent from 2010 to 2012 and last year crossed the $1 million mark, averaging $2,192 per head. I expect another strong showing at the 27th edition of the Beef Expo March 1-3 at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville.
In a landslide vote, the Kentucky State Senate passed Senate Bill 50, Sen. Paul Hornback’s legislation supported by Agriculture Commissioner James Comer that sets up an administrative framework for the re-introduction of industrial hemp into Kentucky’s economy.
Danny Townsend can now distinguish his agriculture products at the point of sale as having been locally grown by a veteran thanks to a new Kentucky Department of Agriculture program.
Do you have any would-be chefs at your school? Agriculture Commissioner James Comer invites all of Kentucky’s future culinary champions to enter the first Kentucky Farm to School Junior Chef competition.
Agriculture Commissioner James Comer has announced that the deadline for submitting entries to the Kentucky Department of Agriculture’s annual Poster and Essay Contest has been extended to Feb. 22.
Eight Kentucky Proud hors d'oeuvres were served in the kitchen of the new Capitol Education Center during a reception that followed the grand opening.
The 2013 On-Farm Energy Efficiency & Production Incentives program provides 50 percent reimbursement of the actual cost of a qualified energy saving or renewable energy project, up to $15,000.
Experts report that the eastern tent caterpillar egg hatch will likely begin in mid-March for Central Kentucky.
Kentucky farmers and fishermen can file and pay their 2012 state income taxes
by April 15, 2013 instead of March 1, 2013, the Kentucky Department of Revenue
- 2013-2018 Strategic Plan for Agriculture unveiling
- Kentucky Here We Grow Tour
- Kentucky Alfalfa Conference
- Kentucky Dairy Partners annual meeting and Kentucky Young Dairy Producers Conference
- Mid-South Stocker Conference
- Kentucky Farm Bureau Beef Expo
- Kentucky Crafted: The Market
- Organic Association of Kentucky Conference
- Aquaculture Production Systems
- CSA Expert Exchange online conference
- Kentucky Agriculture Day Celebration
- NIAA Conference
- Climate Change: Values, National Security, and Free Enterprise
Kentucky Farm Fact
Kentucky 4-H, Kentucky FFA, and Kentucky Proud each received $121,708.64 from voluntary donations made when Kentucky motorists renewed their farm license plates in 2012.