Kentucky Ag News
Vol. 6 No. 2 • Jan. 17, 2013
Agriculture Commissioner James Comer will be joined by national and state agriculture leaders, military leaders, and military veterans/farmers in a news conference next week to launch the Kentucky Proud Jobs for Vets and Homegrown by Heroes programs.
As you renew your farm license plates, please consider making the voluntary $10 donation that will be divided equally among Kentucky 4-H, Kentucky FFA, and Kentucky Proud.
Agriculture Commissioner James Comer has appointed accomplished agriculture leader Warren Beeler to Director of Agriculture Policy at the Kentucky Department of Agriculture.
The Kentucky Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors voted unanimously to support the industrial hemp legislation.
LaRue County’s Ryan and Misty Bivens bested young farm families from around the country at the American Farm Bureau Federation annual meeting to take home the Young Farmer & Rancher Achievement Award.
As the American Farm Bureau Federation’s 94th annual meeting came to a close, the voting delegates from Kentucky and other Farm Bureaus around the country were weighing in on numerous agricultural issues of national importance.
According to Kentucky Farm Bureau's Marketbasket Survey, the total cost of 40 basic grocery items was $115.53, a decrease of $0.38, or 0.3 percent, from the same list of items reported in the previous quarter.
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack recently announced a new microloan program from the U.S. Department of Agriculture designed to help small and family operations, beginning and socially disadvantaged farmers secure loans under $35,000.
- Eastern Kentucky Food Systems Collaborative Gathering
- Kentucky Pork Producers Association conference
- Kentucky Commodity Conference
- UK Equine Showcase and 4th Annual Kentucky Breeders Short Course
- University of Kentucky Vegetable Crops Academy
- Kentucky Landscape Industries Winter Conference and Expo
- UK FarmHouse groundbreaking
- 2013 Ag Expo
- Kentucky Round-Up
- Water Management for Restoration Agriculture
- National Farm Machinery Show
- Aquaculture Basics
- Kentucky Alfalfa Conference
- Kentucky Dairy Partners annual meeting
- Mid-South Stocker Conference
- Aquaculture Production Systems
- Kentucky Agriculture Day Celebration
- NIAA Conference
Kentucky Farm Fact
- Kentucky farm cash receipts totaled a record $5.3 billion in 2012.