Kentucky Ag News
Kentucky Department of Agriculture offers livestock scholarships
Kentucky Agricultural News staff report
FRANKFORT, Ky. - The Kentucky Department of Agriculture is accepting applications for 10 $500 college scholarships to participants in Kentucky Junior Livestock Expos and other KDA-sponsored livestock shows.
All applications and accompanying materials must be postmarked by Monday, Aug. 31 or hand-delivered by that date to KDA’s Division of Show & Fair Promotion, 111 Corporate Drive, Frankfort. The $500 cash awards will be presented at the Kentucky Youth Livestock Points Banquet on Sept. 19.
Two scholarships will be awarded in each livestock species to high school seniors, college and junior college students, and/or those seeking post-secondary education at a technical or vocational school for the current year. Scholarships may be applied towards tuition, housing, books, and other educational expenses. Recipients of this scholarship can re-apply every two years.
To be eligible, applicants are encouraged to:
- have a minimum 3.0 cumulative high school grade point average or a minimum 2.5 cumulative college GPA on a 4.0 scale,
- have participated in at least two state-sponsored district or preview shows within the past two years,
- have participated in at least one showmanship class at a state-sponsored district show or Junior Livestock Expo within the past two years,
- have exhibited in at least one Junior Livestock Expo within the past two years,
- have participated in at least one Junior Livestock Expo skill-a-thon, livestock judging, or dairy judging contest within the past two years,
- have participated in community services/volunteer work and extracurricular activities
- submit two letters of recommendation describing characteristics such as leadership, citizenship, and maturity – one from a school official (teacher, counselor, or principal) and one from a non-relative (KDA employees are prohibited).
Applicants are asked to write an essay, in 500 words or less, answering the question: How has your involvement in the Kentucky Department of Agriculture’s Livestock Program impacted your life and plans for your future? The essay will comprise 40 percent of the judging.
Participation in KDA events will comprise 25 percent of the judging, followed by 10 percent for both GPA and the letters of recommendation, and 5 percent each for community service/volunteer work, extracurricular activities, and SAT/ACT score.
To download a scholarship application,click here.