Kentucky Ag News
Vol. 10 No. 16 • August 16, 2017
Agriculture Commissioner Ryan Quarles brought a little hope to Eastern Kentucky’s less fortunate on Aug. 14 when he helped deliver freezers donated by Farm Credit Mid-America and CoBank to food pantries in five counties.
The 113th edition of this great tradition is Aug. 17-27, and, as always, the Kentucky Department of Agriculture (KDA) is pleased to be a part of it.
"The Kentucky Department of Agriculture staff will be here to make sure you have a great time," Agriculture Commissioner Ryan Quarles said. (video)
Agriculture Commissioner Ryan Quarles reported that the Kentucky Department of Agriculture's "Ag Tag" program generated more than $600,000 in farmer donations in fiscal 2017, a 14 percent increase over 2016. (audio).
Not only is Black Hawk's Angus cattle bred, fed, processed, and distributed in Kentucky, if the beef is bought and consumed in Kentucky, it never leaves the state.
“It’s important to develop a pipeline to the next generation of agriculture leaders and no one does it better than KFB,” Agriculture Commissioner Ryan Quarles said.
On Aug. 17-27, Freddy returns to his favorite people-watching spot on the front porch of Freedom Hall, sitting tall on his traditional stack of hay bales - and he’s eager to visit with friends both new and old.
Kentucky grants went to the Community Farm Alliance and the Mountain Comprehensive Health Corporation.
The National Agricultural Statistics Service's August Crop Production report showed soybean production is forecast to be 10 percent higher than 2016.
- UK Master Cattleman programs
- Woodland Owners Short Course
- Kentucky State Fair
- Midwest Beef Summit
- Hemp Industries Association Annual Conference
- UK Hemp Field Day
- UK Wheat Field School
- UK Weaning 101 workshop
- Kentucky Wood Expo
- KSU Indoor Tilapia, Shrimp and Aquaponics Program
- 2017 Kentucky Grazing School
- Kentucky Sheep and Goat Replacement Sale
- UK Gluck Equine Research Center 30th anniversary celebration
Kentucky Farm Fact
- The 113th Kentucky State Fair is Aug. 17-27 at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville. For more information , go to kystatefair.org. #KyAg365