Kentucky beekeeping schools set for 2017
Events are tailored to benefit all levels of experience
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, January 17, 2017
For more information contact:
FRANKFORT, Ky. — Events aimed at educating beekeepers of all experience levels are scheduled through May 2017.
“Beekeeping has a proud heritage in Kentucky, but it also has a promising future for honey production and pollination,” Agriculture Commissioner Ryan Quarles said. “Whether you are a veteran beekeeper or just getting started, I hope you will take advantage of these opportunities to find out more about this fascinating and growing industry.”
The 2017 beekeeping school schedule is as follows:
- Eastern Kentucky Winter Bee School, Jan. 21, 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m. EST, Perry County Cooperative Extension Service office, Hazard
- Ohio County Basic Beekeepers Workshop, Jan. 21, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. CST, Ohio County Cooperative Extension Service office, Hartford
- South Central Bee School, Feb. 4, 8:15 a.m. CST, Allen County Intermediate School, Scottsville
- South Eastern Bee School, Feb. 4, 8 a.m. EST, Whitley County High School, Williamsburg
- Discovery Trek: Introduction to Beekeeping, Feb. 25, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. EST, Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, Harrodsburg
- Northeastern Bee School, Feb. 25, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. EST, registration opens at 7:30 a.m., Maysville Community and Technical College
- Small Farm and Garden Conference, Feb. 25, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. EST, Franks Building, Ashland
- Northern Kentucky Beekeepers Association Beginner Bee School, Feb. 25, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. EST, Boone County Enrichment Center, Burlington
- Audubon Beekeepers Bee School, March 4, Henderson County Cooperative Extension Expo Center, Henderson
- Bluegrass Beekeepers School, March 11, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m., EST, registration opens at 8 a.m., Kentucky State University, Frankfort
- Kentucky State Beekeepers Association Spring Meet, March 18, Franks Building, Ashland
- Queen Production Workshop, April 7-8, Pulaski County Cooperative Extension Service Office, Somerset
- Field workshop, April 12-15, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. CDT, Kent Williams Apiary, Wingo
- Kentucky State University Queen Production Workshop, May 19-20, Jenny Wiley State Park, Prestonsburg.
For more information on the beekeeping schools and other opportunities, go to kyagr.com/statevet/honeybees.html.