Kentucky Ag News
Vol. 7 No. 20 • October 31, 2014
Agriculture Commissioner James Comer applauded Transylvania University leaders for their commitment to their students, faculty, and staff as well as local farmers.
See photos from the ceremony on the Kentucky Department of Agriculture's page on Facebook.
Agriculture Commissioner James Comer chats with National FFA President Brian Walsh of Leesburg, Va., after addressing delegates at the National FFA Convention Oct. 29 in Louisville. The convention continues through Nov. 1.
Ben Shaffar, director for business development for the Kentucky Department of Agriculture, will talk about the KDA's efforts to reach out to military veteran farmers at the Farmer Veteran Stakeholders Conference Nov. 14-15 in Des Moines, Iowa.
Heritage Radio Network recently spoke to Kentucky state apiarist Tammy Horn and others about sourwood honey and efforts to make the sourwood tree more plentiful.
Ronnie Cooper of Lincoln County, Keith Lowry of Graves County, and Jack Trumbo of Shelby County are the finalists considered for this year’s prestigious award.
While the strong calf market is music to the ears of cow-calf operators, it represents cost challenges for backgrounders interested in placing calves in winter programs for sale in the spring.
Kentucky wineries brought home top awards in the 13th annual Wines of The South competition Oct. 17-18 in Knoxville, Tenn.
- National Horse Show
- Bourbon County Livestock Improvement Association Elite Heifer Sale
- Kentucky Women in Agriculture Conference
- Kentucky State Beekeepers Association fall meeting
- North American International Livestock Exposition
- KCA Young Producer Council Fall Outing
- Kentucky Beginning Farmers Conference
- Kentucky Small, Limited Resource, Minority Farmers Conference
- Managing Beef Cattle in Confinement Conference
- Kentucky No-Till and Cover Crop Soil Health Forum
- UK Equine Showcase and 6th Annual Breeders Short Course
Kentucky Farm Fact
Kentucky has hundreds of family-friendly farm destinations that are affordable and ideally located for a day trip or an overnight stay. Go to www.kentuckyfarmsarefun.com to find one near you.