Kentucky is one of 19 states with a wild ginseng export program. The Kentucky Department of Agriculture administers and certifies all ginseng types for export out of the Commonwealth. Anyone buying and selling (other than harvesters) ginseng within Kentucky needs to be a licensed dealer.
Harvesting Season: September 1 - December 1
Green Starts September 1
Dry Starts September 15 - March 31
April 15 - deadline for certifying previous fall harvest
Dealer applications are valid from September 1 - August 31.
Dealer renewal letters and applications are mailed each July.
New dealers should apply after July 1 for a Kentucky Ginseng Dealer License that is valid for the current year's fall harvest. In other words, to be a Kentucky Ginseng Dealer on September 1, 2018, apply after July 1, 2018. This license would be valid September 1, 2018 to August 31, 2019.
Applications received prior to June 30 each year are for a license that expires August 31 of the current year. A dealer application received on June 30, 2018 will receive a Kentucky Ginseng Dealer License that expires August 31, 2018. If you need a license valid from September 1, 2018 to August 31, 2019, apply after July 1, 2018.
Upcoming Industry Meetings
The Kentucky Department of Agriculture is hosting six ginseng dealer workshops throughout Kentucky for the upcoming 2018 ginseng season. Topics include: ginseng basics, why and how it is regulated, how to fill out Kentucky ginseng paperwork, the ginseng certification process, and a question and answer session.
The workshops will take place:
- Wednesday, August 22, 2018 - Caldwell County Extension Office (Princeton) - 12:30 pm CDT to 4:30 pm CDT
- Tuesday, August 28, 2018 - Hardin County Extension Office (Elizabethtown) - 8:30 am EDT to 12:30 pm EDT
- Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - Laurel County Extension Office (London) - 8:30 am EDT to 12:30 pm EDT
- Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - Perry County Courthouse - Circuit Court Room (Hazard) - 4:30 pm EDT to 8:30 pm EDT
- Thursday, August 30, 2018 - Johnson County Extension Office (Paintsville) - 8:30 am EDT to 12:30 pm EDT
- Thursday, August 30, 2018 - Bath County Extension Office (Owingsville) - 4:30 pm EDT to 8:30 pm EDT
You may see more details about the workshops by clicking here.
There is limited space at each workshop. Please RSVP by Monday, August 20, 2018. Contact Anna at email@example.com or at (502) 330-5810 to let her know which workshop you plan to attend.