KDA Sponsoring Kentucky Proud Direct Farm Marketing Contest
Statewide Contest Involves Production, Growth, and Marketing of Farm Commodities and Products
FRANKFORT (March 15, 2019) —Agriculture Commissioner Ryan Quarles has announced the Kentucky Department of Agriculture’s Direct Farm Marketing Division is sponsoring a contest for Kentucky FFA members actively involved in the production, growth, and marketing of farm commodities or value-added products.
“What better way to get our youth in the habit of going to a farmers’ market than a contest?” Commissioner Quarles said. “Kentucky FFA students are some of agriculture’s best advocates. I hope many of our Kentucky FFAers will take part in this contest and encourage their friends and neighbors to buy local.”
To be eligible, participants must produce and market fruits, vegetables, flowers, eggs, meat, fish, poultry, dairy, or value-added products that have direct Kentucky farmgate impact. The products must be marketed and sold directly to the consumer through farmers’ markets, roadside markets, or on-farm markets.
Participants must turn in a written marketing plan, in which they answer 10 questions regarding market research, display skills, and direct marketing abilities. Applicants also must submit a portfolio that should include photos of the farm operation, products in the field, promotional materials, and market displays.
Regional winners will receive $50 and advance to a statewide competition, where they will be interviewed and judged on their plan, marketing, and production experiences. The interview, in which they will answer questions regarding their operation, will make up 75 percent of the entrant’s score, with the marketing plan and portfolio counting the remaining 25 percent. The overall state winner will receive $300, and the runner-up will get $100.
Applications are due Wednesday, May 15 to Matt Chaliff, executive secretary of the Kentucky FFA Association. Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail them to:
Matt Chaliff, Executive Secretary
Kentucky FFA Association
300 Sower Blvd., Fifth Floor
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
For more information, including guidelines and the marketing plan questions, go to kyagr.com/marketing/farmers-market.html and look for the Forms & Documents menu.