More than $455,000 awarded to fair boards across the state
State fair program awards grants to five counties
For Immediate Release
Thursday, November 3, 2016
For more information contact:
FRANKFORT, Ky. — Five Kentucky county fairs were awarded grants totaling more than $455,000 from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture for fairgrounds construction and remodeling, Agriculture Commissioner Ryan Quarles has announced.
“The local fairgrounds are the hubs of our rural Kentucky communities,” Commissioner Quarles said. “It hosts county fairs, livestock shows, and other events that honor Kentucky’s agricultural traditions. These grants will enable local fair boards to provide their citizens an enjoyable fair experience.”
The amount, the recipient, and the purpose of each grant includes:
- Nelson County Fair Board, $100,000, renovation of existing exhibit hall
- Harrison County Fair Board, $100,000, new 60 X 100-foot building
- Hancock County Fair Board, $100,000, new 120 X 60-food livestock exhibit building
- Isom Day Festival Committee, $75,000, new bleachers and concession building and upgrade to arena fence
- Clinton County Fair Board, $80,043.75, new bleachers; remodeling of food booth and announcer stand; and HVAC unit.
Each grant will fund 75 percent of the total cost of the project. Each project must be started within 90 days of the date the project was awarded and must be completed within nine months.
Any incorporated fair board in Kentucky may apply with the State Aid to Local Agricultural Fairs Program for $20,000-$100,000. Grants may be used for land acquisition, infrastructure or facility improvements, capital construction, or purchase of non-permanent tangible items such as bleachers or restaurant equipment. Applications must be submitted to the KDA’s Division of Show and Fair Promotion and postmarked no later than Oct. 1 of each year. The Kentucky Fair Council reviews the applications and selects the winning proposals.
For more information about the State Aid to Local Agricultural Fairs Program, go to kyagr.com/marketing/county-fair-program.html.