Kentucky Ag News
Vol. 6 No. 5 • March 7, 2013
Unless SB 50 is passed, industrial hemp could be grown totally unregulated in Kentucky if the federal government legalizes its production, Agriculture Commissioner James Comer said.
Agriculture Commissioner James Comer hopes last fall's Kentucky Proud Farm to Table Dinner in Hopkinsville is the first of many. (video)
Kentucky, in particular, will be affected March 11 when new animal disease traceability (ADT) regulations from the U.S. Department of Agriculture regarding interstate movement of cattle become effective.
This year’s theme is “Agricultural Safety: Your Best Investment,” and the emphasis of the week is on encouraging farmers to make safety a priority as they prepare to plant crops this spring.
Artwork on a Trigg County barn has been chosen to represent Kentucky in the new American Quilt Trail Redwork Kit by historic needlework designer The Posy Collection.
The Kentucky Agricultural Council presented a strategic plan for Kentucky agriculture for the next five years to Gov. Steve Beshear in February in Frankfort. Click here to download the plan.
The results of this survey will help all participants in the agriculture sector determine what to expect this growing season after a drought-hampered 2012 season.
The new report, titled "The Role of Food Hubs in Local Food Marketing," mentions Grasshoppers Distribution of Louisville.
The Kentucky Farm Bureau Beef Expo surpassed $1 million in sales for the second consecutive year in its 27th annual edition March 1-3, Agriculture Commissioner James Comer announced.
- Louis Crosier Farm Safety Symposium
- UK Homebased Processing and Microprocessing Workshops
- Fayette County Farm Bureau Farm Equipment Consignment Auction
- Bluegrass Beekeeping School
- Ag Legacy Field Day, High Tunnel Work Day, and Fish Fry
- CSA Expert Exchange online conference
- MarketReady training
- Kentucky Here We Grow Tour
- Bourbon Classic
- Kentucky Agriculture Day Celebration
- Kentucky Equine Youth Festival
- Wine Barrel Tasting for the Springs
- UK Environmental Issues Event
- Kentucky National Dairy Show and Sale
- FDA producer/veterinarian meeting
- Kentucky Classic Alpaca Show
- NIAA Conference
- Kentucky Grazing School
- Kentucky State Beekeepers Association spring meeting
- "Secretariat's Jockey, Ron Turcotte" world premiere
Kentucky Farm Fact
Kentucky 4-H, Kentucky FFA, and Kentucky Proud each received $121,708.64 from voluntary donations made when Kentucky motorists renewed their farm license plates in 2012.