Kentucky Proud Connection
Vol. 4 No. 2 • February 18, 2014
Agriculture Commissioner James Comer, alongside U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell and U.S. Sen. Rand Paul, launched a new Kentucky Proud brand designed to revitalize the Eastern Kentucky economy through agriculture in an event Feb. 17 at the Knott County Sportsplex.
We are always looking for ways to keep the Kentucky Farm Bureau Beef Expo growing and promote all the various breeds. At this year’s show, Feb. 28-March 2 at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville, you will notice a change that I think will be good for buyers and sellers alike.
Every guest attending the 86th Academy Awards on March 2, which will be televised on ABC, will receive a box of truffles hand made by Art Eatables, a Kentucky Proud business in Louisville.
Experts from throughout the nation will meet in Lexington in October for the
first nationwide conference focused on farming, land use, and food
Do you plan on buying some sweets for your sweetie on Valentine’s Day? Here’s
a suggestion: Get an assortment of a uniquely Kentucky creation, Modjeskas,
handmade by a Kentucky Proud candy maker, Bauer’s Candies in
The 2014 Kentucky Proud Magazine, now available online, features Homegrown by Heroes, Udderly Kentucky, the mobile science activity centers, hemp, the North American, and many more Kentucky Proud products and projects.
Kentucky Nonprofit Network, Inc., Kentucky’s state association of charities, recognized nonprofit members and legislative and government officials for their advocacy efforts in 2013 at a recent “More Than Charity” rally in the Capitol Rotunda as part of their ninth annual Kentucky Nonprofit Day at the Capitol.
Jonathan Whitt of JSW Farm in Wrigley had a dream to own a stockyard and a processing facility. He already owned Lee City Stockyards, so his dream came true last fall when he opened The Chop Shop, now the largest U.S. Department of Agriculture inspected processing facility in Eastern Kentucky.
- KCARD Value-Added Producer Grants (application deadline Feb. 24)
- Commonwealth Garden Initiative (application deadline March 3)
- KADF On-Farm Energy Program (application deadline March 28)
- Homebased processing and microprocessing workshops
- UK Equine Career and Opportunity Fair
- UK IPM training
- Extension aquaculture/pond management workshop
Kentucky Proud Opportunities
- Mid-South Stocker Conference
- 34th Kentucky Alfalfa Conference
- Kentucky Dairy Development Council Young Producer Conference
- Kentucky Farm Bureau Beef Expo
- Audubon Beekeeping School
- Kentucky Certified Roadside Farm Market Program Spring Education Meeting
- 4th Annual Organic Conference
- Bluegrass Beekeeping School
- Maysville CTC Farm and Family Night
- Alltech Farm Innovation Series meeting
- W. Norris Duvall Leader in Residence event
- Appalachian SeedSwap