- Protect the health and welfare of Kentucky's livestock, poultry and agricultural industries
- Promote an environment that enhances the economic and recreational opportunities and prosperity of Kentucky agriculture
Office of State Veterinarian
NORTH AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL LIVESTOCK EXPOSITION (NAILE) ENTRY PERMIT POLICY - October 9, 2020
1. Effective immediately, all livestock, other than swine, entering the Commonwealth of Kentucky that require an entry permit for participation in the NAILE shall enter under a blanket permit. The blanket permit for this movement shall be NAILE20.
2. Swine entering the Commonwealth of Kentucky for participation in the NAILE shall require a Certificate of Veterinary inspection (CVI), commonly referred to as a health certificate, and an entry permit issued within seven (7) days of entry.
3. All swine entering the Commonwealth of Kentucky for any purpose other exhibition shall require a CVI issued within 30 days of entry and an entry permit.
Contact the USDA
- The USDA Import Number (animals coming into Kentucky from another country) is 301-851-3300. The email address is: VS.Live.Animal.Import.Export@aphis.usda.gov
- For information on Exporting animals out of the country, contact USDA Veterinary Services at 502-848-2040.
- The Veterinary Medicine Loan Repayment Program (VMLRP):
The VMLRP will pay up to $25,000 each year towards qualified educational loans of eligible veterinarians who agree to serve in a NIFA designated veterinarian shortage situations for a period of three years.
The Kentucky Department of Agriculture's Office of the State Veterinarian is requested in the early part of each year to make the shortage area nominations for the State and to designate the type of shortage (Type I, Type II or Type III) for each area. These nominations are reviewed by the NIFA program and all or a portion of the areas will be approved and posted on the NIFA site listed above. Once the areas are designated veterinarians make application directly to NIFA to fill one of the designated areas. There are specific deadlines for applications that are listed on the NIFA site each year.