Kentucky Proud

Structural Pest Control Branch

Structural Pest Control Branch

The Structural Branch is responsible for the Licensing and Certification of all pest control companies performing work in Kentucky. All commercial pest control companies must have an operator's license and be registered to legally perform work in Kentucky. All commercial and noncommercial applicators must be certified to apply pesticides to the property of others in Kentucky.

The Structural Branch has pesticide inspectors assigned to various regions of the state that investigate problem situations detected in the field, referred by the Frankfort office, or referred by the United States Environmental Protection Agency. The Branch investigates and takes appropriate measures consistent with laws, regulations, and procedures. This Branch enforces Kentucky Revised Statutes 217B and Administrative Regulations 302, Chapter 29 and Federal Law (The Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act-FIFRA).

Inspectors are always available to explain to anyone in the regulated and non-regulated community the requirements of KRS.217B and the applicable regulations. Compliance Assistance is available where the inspectors will advise you what actions your business should take to get in compliance with the law. Call our office if you need an inspector to come by and visit. (502-573-0282)

Any consumer can file a complaint with this branch if they have an issue with a pest control operator or applicator that made a pesticide application, pest identification, or treatment recommendation within the state of Kentucky. This can be reported to the Frankfort office by calling, toll free, 1-866-289-0001 and advising the office staff you would like to file a complaint against a pest control company.

The Structural Branch assists with training and testing programs for the purpose of maintaining professional competence within the regulated community. The Pest Control Operator's exam is given twice (2) per year. The commercial and non-commercial certification exam study material is availableon-line. The certification exam is given monthly at numerous locations across the state. For certification maintenance, see Administrative Regulations, Title 302 KAR 29:060, section 7.

Structural pest control includes:the control of termites or pests, including the identification of infestations or infections; the making of inspections, inspection reports, recommendations; offering advice regarding control methods or sanitation procedures relative to termites and general pests; estimates, or bids, whether oral or written, with respect to such infestations; issuing contracts or submitting bids for, advertising for or performing services designated to prevent, control, repel or eliminate such infestations by the use of pesticides, mechanical devices or structural modifications under whatever name known, for the purpose of preventing, controlling and repelling wood destroying organisms and general pests in household structures, commercial buildings, and other structures (including those in all stages of construction) or the contents thereof, and outside areas, including the treatment of railroad cars, trucks, ships and airplanes or any one (1) or any combination thereof. Excluded under this definition are textile manufacturers, cleaners or furriers who treat fabrics or furs in their place of business exclusively.

Honey Bee Swarms
 Swarming is the honey bee’s method of colony reproduction. This often occurs in the spring but can occur throughout the warmer months when conditions are right. Honey bees may find themselves places to build their hive within a void or hole in a structure. If you notice a tight cluster of bees on your property or bees coming in and out of an opening on your home, please DO NOT PANIC.

Pollinators are an important part of our Agricultural environment assisting plants with pollination and the production of various food crops. They also pollinate many native and landscape flowering plants that beautiful our homes and the Kentucky countryside.

The Kentucky Department of Agriculture along with the State Apiarist have put together a list of beekeepers who are interested in acquiring/removing bees. If the bees are in your house, the KDA strongly recommends seeking professional help to determine the location, and size of the nest. Many pest control companies know local beekeepers, who will assist with the removal of bees and hive structures. Please utilize this link to find beekeepers and swarm removal services in your area.