Quarles announces seven county fair grant awards
Grants will fund infrastructure improvements for county fairgrounds
FRANKFORT (Nov. 10, 2020) –Seven Kentucky county fairs boards were awarded more than $300,000 from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture (KDA) for new construction projects, Agriculture Commissioner Dr. Ryan Quarles has announced.
“Every year I get the unique honor of announcing grants to local county fair boards for infrastructure improvements,” Commissioner Quarles said. “These grants will enhance the places where we gather for county fairs, livestock shows, and other events when the time comes.”
The amount and the recipient of each grant includes:
- $100,000 to the Carroll County Fair for a new building;
- $73,582 to the Trimble County Fair to improvements to the livestock ring, horse arena and demo-derby area;
- $40,500 to the Purchase Area Fair in Graves County for building and fence repairs;
- $25,000 to the Tollesboro Fair in Lewis County for paving, electrical, fencing and lighting upgrades;
- $23,250 to the LaRue County Fair for roof and electrical upgrades and fence repairs;
- $20,960 to Clark County Fair for public announcement system and electrical upgrades; and
- $17,732 to Ballard County for a new roof and stage.
Each grant will fund 75 percent of the total cost of the project, with the local fair board matching the other 25 percent. Each project must be started within 90 days of the date the project was awarded and must be completed within nine months.
Any incorporated fair board in Kentucky may apply with the State Aid to Local Agricultural Fairs Program for grants in the amount of $10,000-$100,000. Grants may be used for infrastructure or facility improvements, capital construction, or purchase of non-permanent tangible items such as bleachers or restaurant equipment. Applications must be submitted to the KDA’s Shows and Fairs Division and postmarked no later than Oct. 1 of each year. The Kentucky County Fair Council reviews the applications and selects the winning proposals.
For more information about the State Aid to Local Agricultural Fairs Program, go to kyagr.com/marketing/county-fair-program.html.