Office of the Kentucky State Veterinarian
Office of State Veterinarian
- Protect the health and welfare of Kentucky's livestock, poultry and agricultural industries
- Promote an environment that enhances the economic and recreational opportunities and prosperity of Kentucky agriculture
NEW Animal Movement tab
Please refer to the Animal Movement tab above for Health Regulations for all importing animals, including those entering Kentucky for the North American International Livestock Expo (NAILE).
Vesicular Stomatitis in Colorado/Arizona (2014/2015)
Updated 1/23/15 - USDA reports 5 premises (4 Colorado and 1 in Arizona) remained under quarantine on 1/23/15. Kentucky has no entry restrictions in addition to those enacted by the state veterinarian or animal health authority in the affected states.
Click here for USDA's Most Recent VS Update
Contact the USDA
The USDA Import Number (Animals coming into Kentucky from another country) is 301-851-3300. The email address is: VS.Live.Animal.Import.Export@aphis.usda.gov
- For information on exporting animals out of the country contact USDA Veterinary Services
- The Veterinary Medicine Loan Repayment Program (VMLRP)
The VMLRP will pay up to $25,000 each year towards qualified educational loans of eligible veterinarians who agree to serve in a NIFA designated veterinarian shortage situations for a period of three years.
The Kentucky Department of Agriculture's Office of the State Veterinarian is requested in the early part of each year to make the shortage area nominations for the State and to designate the type of shortage (Type I, Type II or Type III) for each area. These nominations are reviewed by the NIFA program and all or a portion of the areas will be approved and posted on the NIFA site listed above. Once the areas are designated veterinarians make application directly to NIFA to fill one of the designated areas. There are specific deadlines for applications that are listed on the NIFA site each year.
Directions to the Office
109 Corporate Drive
Frankfort, KY 40601
Phone: 502-573-0282, Option 3
- KDA State Veterinarian: 502-573-0282
- KDA State Veterinarian Fax: 502-573-1020