District Dairy Shows
4-H and FFA exhibitors may show at 6 District Shows.
2015 Show Dates & Locations
|June 6 (Saturday)||Harrodsburg - Mercer County Fairgrounds||9:30 a.m. (EDT) Cows show first|
|June 13 (Saturday)||Edmonton - Metcalfe County Fairgrounds||9:00 a.m. (CDT)|
|June 17 (Wednesday)||Liberty - Casey County Agricultural Expo Center||10:00 a.m. (EDT)|
|June 25 (Thursday)||Shelbyville - Shelby County Fairgrounds||9:00 a.m. (EDT) Cows show first|
|July 11 (Saturday)||Horse Cave - *Burley Fields Livestock Center||9:30 a.m. (CDT)|
|July 22 (Wednesday)||Tollesboro - Tollesboro Lyons Club Fairgrounds||11:00 a.m. (EDT)|
*Burley Fields Livestock Center, 709 Oil Field Rd., Horse Cave, KY 42749
All entries must be in place on the grounds one hour prior to each show
|SOUTHERN KENTUCKY||Amber Huffman||
Phone (270) 524-2451
Phone (270) 432-3561
|LIBERTY|| Will Stallard
Phone (606) 787-7384
Phone (859) 734-4378
|TOLLESBORO||Phillip Konopka||Phone (606) 796-2732|
Phone (502) 633-4593
Send all Entries both 4-H and FFA to:
The Division of Show and Fair Promotion
111 Corporate Drive
Frankfort, KY 40601
Grand Champion awards for each breed are compliments of:
|Kentucky Ayrshire Cattle Club|
|Kentucky Brown Swiss Breeders' Association|
|Kentucky Guernsey Breeders' Association|
|Kentucky Holstein Cattle Club|
|Kentucky Jersey Cattle Club|
|Kentucky Milking Shorthorn Breeders' Association|
|Kentucky Department of Agriculture - Red & White and Crossbred Divisions|
Objectives for District Dairy Shows
District 4-H Club and Future Farmers of America Dairy Shows have proven very helpful in stimulating interest in dairying and promoting and advancing of our rural youth. Many boys and girls acquire good livestock skills as part of these educational programs conducted by agricultural extension agents or vocational agriculture instructors.
Careful consideration should be given to selection of dairy animals for 4-H and FFA programs. Frequently they are the foundation for future herds. For that reason, and to provide the best training possible, FFA and 4-H members should be guided in the selection of animals that possess the quality and heritage for profitable dairying.
District Dairy Shows are sponsored by the Kentucky Department of Agriculture and cooperating agencies for FFA and 4-H members only.
They are to supplement the regular 4-H and FFA training programs by providing an excellent situation for youth to see good dairy cattle; learn improved dairy practices; gain experience in training, grooming and showing their animals; better evaluate their production practices; and become more inspired to make progress in the dairy business.
1. All KY origin animals for exhibition shall be individually identified on a certificate of veterinary inspection written within the current calendar year. January 1 through December 31, 2015. See health requirements for more information.
2.These General Rules and Regulations for District Shows have been adopted by representatives of both 4-H and FFA organizations and approved by the Kentucky Department of Agriculture.
3. Local Rules and Regulations for District Shows must conform to these General Rules.
4. Entries in these shows are restricted to 4-H Club members and FFA members. All 4-H and FFA exhibitors must be members in good standing within their local 4-H Club or FFA Chapter, and have met all necessary requirements prior to June 1st.
A. All 4-H exhibitors must have completed six (6) hours of educational training under the coordination of the local Certified Volunteer Leader prior to June 1st.
The supervising Cooperative Extension Service Agent must sign the entry form before the entry is mailed.
B. All FFA exhibitors must be a bona fide FFA member in good standing within their local FFA Chapter.
The supervising Vocational Agriculture Teacher must sign the entry form before the entry is mailed.
All entries are to be made ten (10) days prior to the show, but exhibitors will be allowed to substitute animals on show day if they have pre-entered. Exceptions to this shall be presented to the local rules committee on the day of the show. SEND ALL ENTRIES BOTH 4-H AND FFA TO THE DIVISION OF SHOW AND FAIR PROMOTION, ATTN: ___________,111 CORPORATE DRIVE, FRANKFORT, KY 40601.
5. All registered animals must be registered in the names of the 4-H Club members or FFA members exhibiting them and their registration papers shown to the superintendent of the show. The transfer of registration or date of ownership, as prescribed by particular breed associations, must be recorded in breed office prior to June 1 of the current year. If the registration certificates have not been received from the breed association, a statement from the association that the transfer has been recorded prior to June 1 will be acceptable.
6. "Non-ownership" project animals will be permitted to exhibit in these shows. Contact the local 4-H agent or Vo-Ag instructor for more details.
7. All grade animals shown must be the bona fide property of the 4-H Club members or FFA members and part of the member's program. Certificates of ownership of grade animals must be shown on approved forms and presented at the time of checking in animals. These forms are to be completed by June 1st.
8. Registered and grade animals will be shown in competition with each other within their respective breed classes.
9. No 4-H Club or FFA member will be permitted to show more than six animals.
10. 4-H Club member or FFA member is eligible to show in all six the district shows.
11. All animals must be shown by the 4-H or FFA exhibitor unless the exhibitor is incapacitated (to deprive of strength or ability: Disabled) or has more than one entry in a class, then the exhibitor may have another youth of 4-H or FFA age exhibit his animal.
12. Only female animals will be eligible to show.
13. Each show shall have a showmanship contest.
14. Each exhibitor in the showmanship contest will show his own animal. In case of partnership animals, the exhibitor who shows or will show in regular breed classes is the only person eligible to show that animal in the showmanship classes.
15. Judges for the shows will be suggested by each show committee.
16. The Kentucky Department of Treasury will mail checks directly to exhibitors.
17. Any exhibitor violating any of the above regulations will forfeit all premiums won.
18. Crossbred Division has been added to the District and Expo shows. Any animal not 100% pure blood will fall into the Crossbred Division (Ex. Holstein X Jersey ) Please not that this does NOT pertain to Grade animals (as they are 100% pure blood, just not recognized by a breed association, and will show within their respective breed). The Crossbred Division will be their own division and participate as the other breeds do.
19.Animals wanting to show in the Red & White breed must have Red & White Registration Papers to show in the Red & White Division.
Premium Scale For Dairy AnimalsFor 2015 Dairy animals will be paid based on the Danish System.
Show Order & Classification of EntriesBREEDS: Ayrshire, Brown Swiss, Guernsey, Holstein, Jersey, Milking Shorthorn, Red & White, and Crossbreds.
1. Junior Calf Born March 1, 2015 - April 30, 2015
2. Intermediate Calf Born December 1, 2014 - February 28, 2015
3. Senior Calf Born September 1, 2014 - November 30, 2014
4. Summer Yearling Born June 1, 2014 - August 31, 2014
5. Junior Yearling Born March 1, 2014 - May 31, 2014
6. Intermediate Yearling Born December 1, 2013 - February 28, 2014
7. Senior Yearling Born September 1, 2013 - November 30, 2013
8. Cow - 2 Years Old Born September 1, 2012 - August 31, 2013
9. Cow - 3 Years Old Born September 1, 2011- August 31, 2012
10. Cow - 4 Years Old Born September 1, 2010 - August 31, 2011
11. Aged Cow Born before September 1, 2010
Health Requirements for all Dairy Shows
1. Brucellosis - No test required.
2. Tuberculosis - No test required.
3. Other Disease Requirements. Cattle infected with warts, ringworm, pink eye or any infectious, contagious, or communicable diseases are not eligible for entry or show. All KY origin animals for exhibition shall be individually identified on a certificate of veterinary inspection written within the current calendar year. January 1 through December 31, 2015. For More information click here.
Rules Governing Showmanship Awards
All District Dairy Shows must have division (by youth's age) showmanship classes with a maximum of four divisions and a minimum of two divisions; division breaks will be determined by each local committee. Awards will be provided by the Kentucky Department of Agriculture. Each show will have a Supreme Showmanship Contest and the participants will be the Division Winners. An award for the Supreme Showman will be furnished by the Kentucky Department of Agriculture. Each exhibitor in the showmanship contest will show his or her own animal. In case of partnership animals, the exhibitor who shows or will show in regular breed classes is the only person eligible to show that animal in the showmanship class.
Uniform Scorecard for judging Fitting and Showmanship Contests
Additional Events For 2015
|April 9-11||Kentucky National Dairy Shows & Sales||Pavilion/New Market Hall||Kentucky Exposition Center||Louisville, Ky|
|TBA||4-H Cow Camp||Metcalfe County||
|TBA||"Show Like a Pro" Dairy Clinic & Contest||Burley Fields Livestock Center||
Horse Cave, Ky
|June 8-9||Kentucky Junior Livestock Expo - East||Derrickson Agricultural Complex||Morehead State University||Morehead, Ky|
|June 9-12||State FFA Convention||Lexington Convention Center||
|June||State 4-H Dairy Judging Contest||University of Kentucky Dairy Unit||University of Kentucky||Lexington, Ky|
|June 19-20||Kentucky Junior Livestock Expo - Western Rivers||William "Bill" Cherry Agricultural Expo Center||Murray State University||Murray, Ky|
|Kentucky Junior Livestock Expo||L.D. Brown Exposition Center||Western Kentucky University||Bowling Green, Ky|
|August||Kentucky State Fair||All of Fairgrounds||Kentucky Exposition Center||Louisville, Ky|
|TBA||Ky Youth Livestock Points Program Banquet||Banquet Room||Capital Plaza Hotel||Frankfort, Ky|
|November||North American International Livestock Exposition||All of Fairgrounds||Kentucky Exposition Center||Louisville, Ky|