Information about Being a Kentucky Ginseng DealerA "dealer" in Kentucky means any person or agent of an entity buying ginseng for resale or export. Under 302 KAR 45:010 E Section 2 "Dealer License Requirements," no person shall purchase uncertified ginseng for resale or export unless they possess a ginseng dealers license.
This means you will need to be a licensed dealer if you are
- wishing to buy ginseng from harvesters and plan to sell the ginseng and/or certify it for export out of Kentucky.
- a harvester and wish to export your ginseng out of Kentucky.
Once the ginseng is certified for export out of Kentucky, it may be sold at any time to any person in Kentucky and legally leave the state. Certified ginseng may even be sold in Kentucky from April 1 - September 15. However, you will need to refer to importing states' laws and regulations for their rules regarding the selling of certified ginseng.
To Become a Kentucky Ginseng Dealer
In order to become a licensed Kentucky Ginseng Dealer,
- Print the dealer application and complete all information needed.
- (We only publish your name, address and main phone number in our dealer directory.)
- Have the form notarized. (*Notaries are often available at financial institutions.)
- Make a copy of your driver's license or other government issued identification.
- Make a check or money order to "Kentucky State Treasurer". The fee is $75.00 for Kentucky residents and $150.00 for non-residents.
- Mail your completed application, identification copy, and fee to:
Kentucky Department of Agriculture
100 Fair Oaks Lane, 5th Floor
Frankfort, KY 40601
From there, you will receive all of the appropriate materials and forms to conduct ginseng business in Kentucky.
Dealer Packet Materials
- Kentucky Dealers (by name)
- Kentucky Dealers (by county)
- Kentucky Instructional Packet
- Ginseng Program Changes Fact Sheet
- Scale Information from the Kentucky Farmers' Market Manual
- Pounds to Ounce Conversion Chart
- Wet to Dry Conversion Chart
- Kentucky city and county list, plus list of 120 counties and county seats
- Ginseng Stewardship Brochure produced by APHA
- Daniel Boone Forest Service Forest Products Flyer
- If you need additional Purchase Forms or Dealer to Dealer Transaction forms, email the Ginseng program with the quantities needed.
Need to come to our office?
- To schedule an appointment to have your ginseng certified, call (502) 564-4983 or the Ginseng program. Mail-in certifications are processed ongoing, as they are received.
- Please note the dates below our offices are required to be closed, as this will affect processing times. There may be additional times certifying agents are unavailable; appointments must be made at least 2 business days in advance to ensure someone is available to assist you.
- Plan at least 1 hour per 100 pounds of root being certified for your certification appointment, plus 30 minutes to conduct a root sample.
- Digging Season: September 1 - December 1
- Buying Season:
Green start September 1
Dry season September 15 - March 31
- Final certification for harvest season April 15
- State Holidays
- There will be other specific times certifying agents will be unavailable; please call ahead for an appointment and plan accordingly
Certification Appointment Scheduling
If you have a Google account or gmail address, you can schedule and see times available to certify your ginseng by clicking here.
Please remember to call in and schedule at least two business days in advance to ensure someone is available to process your paperwork. Allow one hour for every 100 pounds of ginseng plus 30 minutes for a root inspection.
Dates Currently Unavailable for Certification, and subject to change:
For 2013 Harvest Season
- Monday, September 2, 2013 - Labor Day
- Friday, September 20, 2013
- Week of October 7- 11, 2013
- Monday, October 28, 2013
- Monday, November 11, 2013 - Veterans Day
- Wednesday, November 27, 2013
- Thursday & Friday, November 28-29, 2013 - Thanksgiving
- Tuesday & Wednesday , December 24-25, 2013 - Christmas,
- Tuesday & Wednesday , December 31, 2013 - January 1, 2014- New Year's (There will be additional times agents not available depending on ginseng certification needs in this time period.)
- January 6-7, 2014
Frequently Asked Questions for DealersCan I sell my Kentucky ginseng on an auction site, such as E-bay?
Yes, but you first must be a licensed Kentucky dealer. Then, you will need to have an Export Certificate for each lot. Lots are built based on the Purchase Form information. The maximum number of lots per Purchase Form is 10; one for each line on the Purchase Form.
How can I get a CITES permit/export ginseng out of the United States? Review these links/publications for more information:
- Export/American Ginseng Stewardship Brochure from the American Herbal Products Association
- US Fish and Wildlife - American Ginseng
- Export of American Ginseng Permit Application Form
- United State Department of Agriculture - Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
Upcoming MeetingsNone scheduled at this time
- Kentucky Ginseng Dealers
- Kentucky Ginseng Diggers, Harvesters
- Additional Reading
- Frequently Asked Question
Licensing and Laws