Industrial Hemp Program
Industrial Hemp Research Pilot Program
- There are separate applications for Growers and Processors/Handlers.
- Be sure to read the new 2017 Policy Guide
- The Grower Application deadline is November 14, 2016, at 4:30 PM ET.
- The Processor/Handler Application is preferred by November 14, 2016.
- Email submissions are not accepted.
As 7 U.S.C. § 5940 (2014 Farm Bill, Section 7606) authorized Departments of Agriculture to create industrial hemp research pilot programs, we wish to remind everyone that the focus of this program is research. The application evaluation process is clearly defined in the Industrial Hemp Research Pilot Program 2017 Policy Guide.
KDA is not in the position to offer direct consultation on completing a program application or about how to produce industrial hemp. Prospective participants are to conduct research which will add to the industrial hemp body of knowledge that is currently limited. For a better understanding of hemp production techniques refer to a recent publication by the University of Kentucky.
All costs associated with the research are the responsibility of the participant, including both profits and loss. There are no sources of funding from KDA to cover any aspect of research projects. Participants should understand that at the present time it is likely that they may suffer a loss on the industrial hemp crop. Limited production knowledge combined with an uncertain federal regulatory environment and unstable pricing creates significant risk for the participant. The focus of this program is the collection of research data.
KDA has made available a complete list of 2016 participants, by name and county, including both growers and processors. Please note the listed name is the name in which the participant Memorandum of Understanding is issued, either by individual or by company; the listed county is the county of residence or business registration. This list does not include affiliated university projects.
Persons interested in Kentucky's Industrial Hemp Research Pilot Program and not already on the email notification list should send an email to email@example.com with your name and contact information to be added to the list. Notifications will include announcements for industrial hemp field days, conferences, application releases, etc.
- University/College Affiliation form -
- University/College Affiliation form - PDF
University/College Affiliate Form
- DEA Proposed Rule
- Senator McConnell's Comments to Secretary Vilsack
- KDA Comments in response to the Joint Statement of Principles on Industrial Hemp
- USDA DEA FDA Joint Statement of Principles on Industrial Hemp
- 7 U.S.C. § 5940 (2014 Farm Bill, Section 7606)
- Interstate Omnibus Language, 2016
- 2014 KY Research Summary
- 2016 KY Map by County Participation
- Industrial Hemp facts
- Industrial hemp video archive
- Kentucky Industrial Hemp Commission
- History of Hemp in Kentucky