Kentucky Industrial Hemp Research Pilot Program
Welcome to the Kentucky Department of Agriculture (KDA) Industrial Hemp Research Pilot Program website. The 2019 program year is the end of the research pilot program. We are preparing to transition to full commercial production in the Kentucky Hemp Licensing Program for 2020 under a USDA approved state plan.
KENTUCKY HEMP SUMMITHosted by the Kentucky Department of Agriculture
December 4, 2019 at the Kentucky Exposition Center in Louisville
The KDA is hosting this summit for applicants, licensed growers, processors, and other interested parties to interact and learn more about hemp and the Kentucky Hemp Licensing Program. Click here for more information.
Among the major application changes for 2020:
* KDA will accept grower applications from November 15, 2019, to March 15, 2020.
* KDA will accept processor/handler applications beginning on November 15, 2019.
* The KDA will host an online application on this webpage.
* The new online application will include a mapping function that will automatically upload the GPS coordinates.
Check back here for more announcements.
New regulations for the 2020 hemp licensing program will be released as soon as possible following USDA approval of our state plan.
2018 Farm Bill and what it means for Hemp in Kentucky HEMP_OV_2018 Farm Bill Hemp in KY
Full details for the Industrial Hemp Research Pilot Program, including applications and regulations, can be found on this website. The information is organized under 6 different “Program Pages” as listed below. You may also access the program pages in the right sidebar (mobile users scroll down) under the heading “Program Pages”.
On October 11, 2018 the Kentucky Department of Agriculture held their first-ever Hemp Applicant Meeting where we provided a seminar and a networking session for growers and processors. Anyone interested in viewing the presentation from that meeting can find it here. HEMP_2019 Hemp Applicant Meeting 10-11-18
* Industrial Hemp Research Pilot Program Overview. Provides a general overview of the Kentucky research program, including a list of current License Holders, Processors & Handlers, and History and Scope of the Program.
* Hemp and the Law. Here you will find all the hemp related Laws and Regulations, including Kentucky Administrative Regulations for growers, processors, handlers, and universities.
* Applications for the Hemp Program. Interested in joining the program? Visit this page for the Grower and Processor/Handler License Applications, as well as University Affiliation Application forms.
* License Holders - Forms and Deadlines. License Holders and Affiliated Universities in the program have constant access to program forms and mapping guidelines, and a convenient list of deadlines. Also found on this page are the detailed presentations used during initial training of new license holders.
* Picture Gallery. COMING SOON. Check out the three harvestable components of industrial hemp and the various methods of crop production, harvest, and processing/handling being researched in the Commonwealth.
Persons interested in Kentucky's Industrial Hemp Research Pilot Program and not already on the email notification list may send an email to Hemp@ky.gov with your name and contact information to receive periodic updates. Notifications will include announcements for industrial hemp field days, conferences, application releases, etc.
If you have visited all of KDA’s hemp pages and still have questions about the program, please send inquiries to Hemp@ky.gov.