Information about Being a Kentucky Ginseng Dealer
A "dealer" in Kentucky means any person or agent of an entity buying ginseng for resale or export. Under 302 KAR 45:010 E Section 2 "Dealer License Requirements," no person shall purchase uncertified ginseng for resale or export unless they possess a ginseng dealers license.
- wishing to buy ginseng from harvesters and plan to sell the ginseng and/or certify it for export out of Kentucky.
- a harvester and wish to export your ginseng out of Kentucky.
This means you will need to be a licensed dealer if you are
Once the ginseng is certified for export out of Kentucky, it may be sold at any time to any person in Kentucky and legally leave the state. Certified ginseng may even be sold in Kentucky from April 1 - September 15. However, you will need to refer to importing states' laws and regulations for their rules regarding the selling of certified ginseng.
To Become a Kentucky Ginseng Dealer
Dealer licenses are valid from
September 1 - August 31.
Dealer renewal letters and applications are mailed each July.
New dealers should apply after July 1 for a Kentucky Ginseng Dealer License that is valid for the current year's fall harvest. In other words, to be a Kentucky Ginseng Dealer on September 1 of 2019, apply after July 1, 2019. This license would valid September 1, 2019 to August 31, 2020.
Applications received prior to June 30 each year are for a license that expires August 31 of the current year. A dealer application received on June 30, 2019 will receive a Kentucky Ginseng Dealer License that expires August 31, 2019. If you need a license valid from September 1, 2019 to August 31, 2020, apply after July 1, 2019.
Dealer Licenses Important Dates:
In order to become a licensed Kentucky Ginseng Dealer:
1. Print the dealer application (right column under Forms & Documents) and complete all information needed. (We only publish your name, address and main phone number in our dealer directory.)
2. Have the form notarized. (*Notaries are often available at financial institutions.)
3. Make a copy of your driver's license or other government issued identification.
Make sure your information is up-to-date and valid. For more information about Kentucky identification please refer to https://drive.ky.gov/Driver-Licensing/Pages/default.aspx
4. Make a check or money order to "Kentucky State Treasurer". The fee is $75.00 for Kentucky residents and $150.00 for non-residents.
Per 302 KAR 45:0101 Section 2 (2) Residency shall be determined by the state of issuance of a driver’s license or other government issued identification.
5. Mail your completed application, identification copy, and fee to:
Kentucky Department of Agriculture
111 Corporate Drive
Frankfort, KY 40601
From there, once your ginseng dealer application is approved, you will receive all of the appropriate materials and forms to conduct ginseng business in Kentucky. Start of season packets are mailed each August upon approval of your ginseng dealer application. You may not conduct business ginseng business until you receive notice of your approved application and the materials to conduct ginseng business.
Dealer Packet Materials
- Kentucky Dealers (by name)
- Kentucky Dealers (by county)
- Kentucky Instructional Packet
- Ginseng Program Fact Sheet
- Pounds to Ounce Conversion Chart
- Wet to Dry Conversion Chart
- Kentucky city and county list, plus list of 120 counties and county seats
- Ginseng Stewardship Brochure produced by APHA
- Daniel Boone National Forest Service Fact Sheet for 2018
- Daniel Boone Forest Service Forest Products Flyer
- Scale Information
When you are mailed your dealer license, you will receive these items as part of becoming a dealer.
In order to expedite checking of your ginseng scales, some scale inspectors are scheduling time in your community for you to have your scaled checked. Inspectors will contact past dealers directly for scheduling. New dealers (and dealers with new scales) will need to call an request an inspection. You may schedule a scale check before or after a ginseng certification appointment in Frankfort.
- If you need additional Purchase Forms or Dealer to Dealer Transaction forms, email the Ginseng program with the quantities needed.
Need to come to our office?
- To schedule an appointment to have your ginseng certified, call (502) 573-0282 and ask for the Ginseng program. All certifications are in person in Frankfort.
- Please note the dates below our offices are required to be closed, as this will affect processing times. There may be additional times certifying agents are unavailable; appointments must be made at least two (2) business days in advance to ensure someone is available to assist you.
- Plan at least one (1) hour per 100 pounds of root being certified for your certification appointment, plus thirty (30) minutes to conduct a root sample.
Important Ginseng Dates
Digging Season: September 1 - December 1
- Buying Season:
Green start September 1
Dry season September 15 - March 31
- Final certification for harvest season April 15
- State Holidays
- There will be other specific times certifying agents will be unavailable; please call ahead for an appointment and plan accordingly
- Dealer licenses are valid from
September 1 - August 31.
- Dealer renewal letters and applications are mailed each July.
- New dealers should apply after July 1 for a Kentucky ginseng dealer's license that is valid for the current year's fall harvest. In other words, to be a Kentucky Ginseng Dealer on September 1 of 2019, apply after July 1, 2019. This license would valid September 1, 2019 to August 31, 2020.
- Applications received prior to June 30 each year are for a license that expires August 31 of the current year. A dealer application received on June 30, 2019 will receive a Kentucky Ginseng Dealers that expires August 31, 2019. If you need a license valid from September 1, 2019 to August 31, 2020, apply after July 1, 2019.
Ginseng Certification Appointment Scheduling
If you have a Google account or Gmail address, you can schedule and see times available to certify your ginseng by clicking here.
Please remember to call in and schedule at least two (2) business days in advance to ensure someone is available to process your paperwork. Allow one hour for every 100 pounds of ginseng plus 30 minutes for a root inspection.
Dates Currently Unavailable for Certification, and subject to change:
For 2019 Harvest Season
Frequently Asked Questions for Dealers
Can I sell my Kentucky ginseng on an auction site, such as E-Bay?
Yes, but you first must be a licensed Kentucky dealer. Then, you will need to have an Export Certificate for each lot. Lots are built based on the Purchase Form information. The maximum number of lots per Purchase Form is 10; one for each line on the Purchase Form.
How can I get a CITES permit/export ginseng out of the United States? Review these links/publications for more information:
- Primer on Importing & Exporting CITES-Listed Species Used in the United States in Dietary Supplements, Traditional Herbal Medicines, and Homeopathic Products prepared by The American Herbal Products Association
- US Fish and Wildlife - American Ginseng
- Export of American Ginseng Permit Application Form
- United State Department of Agriculture - Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
Please check back for information on future meetings.